Plas Newydd, was ‘Gothicised’ by Lady Eleanor Butler and the Hon Sarah Ponsonby. Known as ‘the ladies of Llangollen’, they eloped and lived there together from 1780-1829 in what would now be a civil partnership but in Regency days was little short of a scandal. Notoriety, however, made them notable, especially in literary circles: Wordsworth, Shelley and Byron were friends and even the Duke of Wellington visited. Their house can be visited from Easter to October.
itself is full of gift shops aimed at tourists but it is also a centre
for amateur theatre societies, some of them producing plays, musicals,
cabarets and concerts of a very high calibre.Two miles west of Llangollen
is Valle Crucis, a large Cistercian abbey, built in the 13th century
but largely destroyed during the Reformation. However, many original
features remain and its aura of peace and contemplation is palpable.
LLANDUDNO, Wales’ largest seaside resort, still retains much of its Victorian and Edwardian elegance, especially in the sweep of hotels and boarding houses along the town’s wide, sandy beaches and the lengthy pier with its traditional attractions. It’s a real bucket-and-spade place.Over it looms the Great Orme, most easily climbed by cable car and home to over half a million of a unique species of butterfly, the silver studded blue, in summer. Just five miles away is the mighty Conwy Castle, now a World Heritage Site.
COTTAGE GUESTS will find a full
information pack coveringhorse riding; fishing - fly & course;quad trails & karting; climbing, paintballing, canoeing; white water rafting, sailing, surfing; abseiling, cruises, railways and gardens.If you have a particular interest and want to know about availability, contact:
miles) is a pretty market town looking over the Vale of Clwyd. There
are remains of the castle, built by Edward I in the 13th century, and
most of the centre of the town is an attractive mix of buildings spanning
six centuries. St Peter’s Church in the main square dates from
the 14th century while, along from it, the 16th century Myddelton Arms
has a steeply-pitched roof housing an unusual array of seven dormer
windows, collectively known as the ‘eyes of Ruthin’. Next
door is the Georgian Castle Hotel.
Across the square, the half-timbered former courthouse built in 1401 now contains the NatWest Bank – and still displays the remains of a gibbet – and in front of the mock-Tudor Barclays Bank is Maen Huail, a large limestone rock on which King Arthur is supposed to have beheaded a rival.
The medieval Nantclwd house in Castle Street is the oldest known townhouse in Wales. Added to over the centuries, it has recently been restored and seven rooms, each representing a different period of its history, are now open to the public. The castle itself, rebuilt in the 19th century, is now a hotel featuring medieval banquets.
The Ruthin County Gaol by the river is now a museum and a farmers’ market is held in its courtyard on the last Saturday of every month from May to October. The new Craft Centre with workshops, galleries and tourist information centre is due to open this year (2008) opposite Tesco (there are also smaller Somerfield and Co-op stores).